Monday, September 30, 2013

What is Camellia?

I have always like camellia because I had them in our yard when I was growing up, and I still have them in my yard.




Camellia  is a evergreen shrub that has showy flowers in the colors of red, pink, white, and rose. They bloom from fall through spring and their booms will be single, semi double, or double. They grow in zones 8-10, so if you live in these hardiness zones, you can plant your own Camellia.




I have c.japonica or Japanese camellia growing in my yard. It grows pretty tall and the leaves or dark glossy evergreen ones. The flowers are from 3 to 5 inches across from lite winter through spring. The color or this one is red.




Camellias has to be protected form the winter winds, so when they are trying to figure out where to plant your camellias, keep this in mind. They also have to have moist, well-drained acid soil and they also like to have partial shade. I always take all of this to mind, when I am deciding to plant some more camellia. I always add organic matter to my soil and I keep them mulched all the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment