Thursday, October 3, 2013

What is a Sunflower?

Sunflower are perennial and they well in zones 3-9. they grow tall which is 5 to 12 feet high and they have a beautiful flower show n late summer and fall. they are one of low maintenance plants.

I have raised many different varieties of sunflowers because I like the different flowers they produce and I like to add sunflowers to my flower arrangements that I make for my own house. I have always wanted to be a florist, but I am not, so I just do them for my family.




H. Angustifolius grows to be 5 to 7 feet tall and they are 4 feet wide. The flowers are yellow petals around a brown or purple center that forms flowers 2-3 inches across and you will see this midsummer to late fall. I can grow this one because it will grow in zones 6-9 and I live in one of these zones.




Sunflowers needs to be planted in soil that is moist, and well-drained and it needs to be rich in organic matter. Sunflowers love to be planted where they can get a lot of sun. If I want this particular sunflower to be a more bushier plant,  I will need to cut back the stems by a third in late spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment