Thursday, October 3, 2013

How to grow Hibiscus?

I love all different types of hibiscus. I think they are so pretty. When we live in Florida, when we were in the military before we retires, I had several hibiscus planted in my front yard.




Hibiscus are both herbaceous perennials and woody shrubs and they can be grown in zones 5-9. Because the hibiscus are grown for their very large, pretty flowers that blooms from midsummer until frost hits here. I like to use my hibiscuses with my other shrubs that I have in my front yard. One of the hibiscus with my other shrubs that I have in my front yard. One of the hibiscus is a scarlet rose mallow, it is a narrow, upright one that grows from 6 to 8 feet tall, it has funnel-shaped red flowers that is 5-6 inches across and it blooms from mid to late summer. This one will grow in zones 5-9. Swamp mallow is a herbaceous perennial that grows 3 to 8 feet tall. It has multiple stems from the base, and it has green leaves that is 8 inches long and a single flowers that is 6 to 12 inches across. They bloom from midsummer until frost and they can grow in zones 4-9. Another type of a hibiscus is "Diana" rose of Sharon, this one is a dense upright shrub, that grows, from 6 to 8 feet tall. this hibiscus flower is white and it grows well in zones 5-8. Their flowers bloom all through summer.




Swamp mallow, rose of Sharon and scarlet rose mallow likes to have full sun and moist soil with organic matter. Diana rose of Sharon grows good to most soil, unless it is too wet or dry. this one does not have to be prune. Rose and swamp mallows natural habitats are wetlands and swamps, so they can be planted in wet spots in my landscape or I can plant some of them by my pond.

To me, no matter where I plant hibiscus they are going to be beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment